Jackets, trousers, belts, bags or car seat covers: the market for leather articles is big. What has long been true of textiles is no less important here: consumers want to be sure that as well as the design and pattern, the safety in regard to harmful ingredients is right.
With the OEKO-TEX® LEATHER STANDARD, we offer you a globally standardised, independent testing and certification system especially for leather articles of all types. It ensures the legal conformity of your leather and leather products at all stages of production. These include, for example, leather semi-finished products (e.g. wet-blue, wet-white, crust, etc.), finished leather, leather fibre materials, ready-made articles (clothing, accessories, leather gloves, leather bags, leather covers and more).
Benefit from our many years of experience in testing for harmful substances of all kinds - and show your customers that they can rely on their leather products.
For whom is the leather testing suitable?
- Manufacturers of leather materials and leather articles along the entire supply chain.
- Brands and retailers of leather products
- Sourcing offices
Information on the certificate
- The validity period of an issued certificate is limited to a maximum of one year.
- The OEKO-TEX® LEATHER STANDARD certificate describes the certified products (article group) and clearly lists the product class achieved.
- Depending on how high the leather or textile content of your product is in the majority, you will receive either an OEKO-TEX® LEATHER STANDARD certificate / label or an OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 certificate / label.
- Three months before the end of the validity period of the OEKO-TEX® LEATHER STANDARD label, the certificate holder can apply to extend the certificate for a further year.
Your benefits at a glance
- With a transparent OEKO-TEX® LEATHER STANDARD certificate, you promote consumer confidence in your products.
- The criteria catalogue is uniform around the world and is thus applicable everywhere on the same terms.
- Avoidance of recourse claims by detecting and avoiding chemicals that are harmful to health
- Modular certification system (avoids duplicate tests on unchanged products)
- A certification forms the basis for many Restricted Substances Lists (RSLs) for retail chains, discounters, producers, etc. and thus the basis for many delivery conditions.
- Product monitoring through regular control tests on the market and through on-site company inspections by our independent quality officers
- With an OEKO-TEX® LEATHER STANDARD certificate, you can present your company and your product portfolio on the OEKO-TEX® online directory (“Buying Guide“).