MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® is a traceable product label that is issued for all kinds of textiles and leather that have been:
- Tested for harmful substances
- Produced in environmentally friendly facilities
- Manufactured in safe and socially responsible workplaces
The MADE IN GREEN label can be issued for articles at any stage of production. The specific product ID on each label offers a whole new level of transparency for companies and consumers by providing information about where a sales item was manufactured.
The label is awarded based on STeP certification of sustainable production facilities and STANDARD 100 certification of products tested for harmful substances. The central tool to manage these B2B data and communication is the myOEKO-TEX database.
Apart from proving that labelled items have been produced in a way that is safe for human ecology, environmentally friendly and socially responsible, the MADE IN GREEN product ID and/or QR code offers the following information:
- Details about the labelled item (e.g. material specifications, article numbers, colours, etc.)
- Contact details of the label owner as well as what kind of company it is (e.g. brand, retailer, importer, production company, etc.)
- Listing of the facilities on a world map that were involved in the production of the labelled article
- Information on what types of operation the manufacturing plants belong to (e.g. sewing, weaving, spinning, finishing, etc.)
Consumers and buyers can obtain this information by entering the product ID in the Label Check section of the OEKO-TEX® website or by scanning the QR code on the label.
MADE IN GREEN LABEL CHECK
With the MADE IN GREEN label, brands, retailers and manufacturers can transparently inform consumers that they and their suppliers act responsibly – by preserving the environment, respecting the health, safety and human rights of their workers, and ensuring high product safety.
In this sense, MADE IN GREEN offers highly credible proof of product stewardship and transparent supply chains which are increasingly demanded by consumers, NGOs and political initiatives.
The MADE IN GREEN label requires annual renewal.
A purchaser of a MADE IN GREEN labeled product must be able to trace the information for five years. If there are any changes to the supply chain that relate to the label requirements, a new label must be issued.
Any company within the textile and leather value chain can apply for the MADE IN GREEN label.
Manufacturers, converters, wholesalers, retailers and brands that fulfill the criteria are allowed to use product label.
Non-producers can obtain labels without their own certifications if their suppliers fulfil the MADE IN GREEN conditions. Brands and retailers can re-label MADE IN GREEN products from suppliers under their own company name.
MADE IN GREEN labeled products must meet the following requirements:
- Each component that makes up at least 5% of the total weight of the labeled product must originate from production facilities that have been certified with STeP by OEKO-TEX®.
- At least 85% of a labeled product's total weight must originate from production facilities that have been STeP certified.
- All cut and sew and wet-chemical processing must take place in a STeP certified facility.
- The product must be STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® certified.
Interim products that are sold to companies within the supply chain must be certified with STeP by OEKO-TEX® and meet all the criteria mentioned above.
- Application / Registration
The applicant registers on the myOEKO-TEX® platform to gain access to the database.
After their registration, companies can find suppliers and send them requests to confirm or connect in the myOEKO-TEX® portal.
- Definition of articles
The company needs to define the MADE IN GREEN labelled product and its individual components.
The MADE IN GREEN label can be generated in the myOEKO-TEX® portal.
- Labelling / Marketing
Label owners are allowed to label their products with MADE IN GREEN and use the label for advertising purposes.
- You establish sustainable production and social working conditions in your supply chain.
- Efficient production processes through STeP certification enable you to obtain economic benefits and savings.
- You ensure harmful substance conformity with the STANDARD 100 or LEATHER STANDARD certification of your products.
- MADE IN GREEN credibly communicates commitment to sustainability, high quality and environmental standards and responsible working conditions.
- Product tracing via the unique product ID facilitates transparency for consumers and customers.
- The MADE IN GREEN label highlights long-term suppliers who have worked to achieve sustainability objectives and good working conditions.
- Marketing opportunities in the OEKO-TEX® Buying Guide and external listings such as Texbase CertLink and Foursource.