OEKO-TEX® DETOX TO ZERO is an easy-to-use verification system for textile facilities that wish to achieve the Greenpeace Detox campaign objectives. DETOX TO ZERO is not a classic pass/fail certification system. Instead, it emphasises continuous improvement through regular analysis of company practices with a plan to reduce hazardous substances in production and introduce environmental protection measures.
With an existing DETOX TO ZERO status report, expansion to the integral production facility certification OEKO-TEX® STeP is easy to achieve. The status report on DETOX TO ZERO performance is then shown on the STeP certificate.
Please choose HOHENSTEIN as you partner laboratory when completing the online form.
OEKO-TEX® DETOX TO ZERO enables manufacturers in the textile chain to assess the status of their chemicals management systems and the quality of their wastewater and sludge and to have these documented through independent verification. The ultimate goal is to completely eliminate eleven dangerous chemical groups from textile production, because these groups contaminate the environment to a high degree and can also accumulate in the human body due to their persistence.
The DETOX TO ZERO status report is valid for one year.
DETOX TO ZERO is designed for the supply chain of brands and retailers that have signed up to the Greenpeace Detox agreement and for suppliers and purchasers who endeavor to proactively ensure compliance with the objectives of the Greenpeace Detox campaign.
DETOX TO ZERO analyses and evaluates:
- The conformity of wastewater and sludge with the OEKO-TEX® DETOX TO ZERO Manufacturing Restricted Substance List (MRSL)
- The conformity of the chemicals stored in the company with the OEKO-TEX® DETOX TO ZERO MRSL
- The company organisation (management system and structural organisation, compliance with legal requirements for the storage and handling of chemicals, environmental protection, health and safety of employees, production process)
The applicant completes the online application form on the OEKO-TEX® website.
Please choose Hohenstein in the dropdown menu where you can select the laboratory you would like to work with.
The applicant completes the online questionnaire and provides all necessary data.
- Data analysis
We check all data submitted by the applicant.
- On-site audit
Our auditor verifies the applicant's data on-site in the relevant production facility.
- Status report
We carry out our final evaluation and create a status report for you.
- Steady optimisation and continuous monitoring of your chemical management based on the Detox campaign objectives.
- Credible communication/documentation of your achieved detox performance with all stakeholder groups with the independent status report.
- The status report provides a plan and specific recommendations for continuous improvement to ensure that the chemicals used comply with OEKO-TEX® DETOX TO ZERO MRSL.
- Independent data evaluation and verification.
- Compliance with legal and/or NGO requirements.
- Key textile expertise by your side at every stage from data collection to the final evaluation.
- Full integration into the OEKO-TEX® system for product responsibility is possible at any time with OEKO-TEX® STeP.
- Optimisation of process and product safety at every stage along the textile chain.
The DETOX campaign was initiated by Greenpeace in 2011, targeting the elimination of hazardous substance usage within textile and leather industry supply chains. The main goal of the campaign is to reduce the use of eleven listed chemicals in the production chains and in textiles to zero.
For companies, a commitment to the detox campaign means that they dedicate themselves to a transparent supply chain, comprehensive chemicals management that checks the use of hazardous substances for contamination and to substituting or removing harmful chemicals.
DETOX TO ZERO is an independent verification that assesses, audits and reports on the wastewater and sludge quality, the use of chemicals and other environmental aspects to support companies on the path to greater transparency and sustainability. With DETOX TO ZERO companies can gradually implement the requirements of the Greenpeace DETOX campaign in their production.